Small Boat Sailing
Members are welcome to take out club boats at Optimist, Open Bic, Sunfish, 420, Hobie Wave, or Flying Scot any time of the day from Tuesday through Sunday at no cost. Juniors are allowed to take out boats according to their skipper card level, adults will have to prove their sailing experience to the waterfront director. You will have to do a one time check-out procedure at the cost of $50 (this is not a lesson!), after passing your check-out the club boats can be used at no cost. A course completion card from an accredited sailing school may be used in lieu of some of these requirements.
- You must know how to rig and unrig the boat.
- You must stay within sight of the club at all times
- You must carry a PFD for each passenger. All Jrs. are required to wear a US Coast Guard approved lifejacket at all times.
- You must know how to approach and leave the dock safely.
- You must know how to tie the boat up securely to the finger pier.
- Restricted to normal hours of waterfront operation- Tue through Sun, 10-4, except race days.
- You may use the boats anywhere inside St. Andrews Bay.
- You may use the boats from sunrise to sunset.
- You must know how to launch and pull out the boats (using the hoist if using a Flying Scot.)
- You must demonstrate that you know how to recover from a capsize.
- You must know how to swim.
- If using the boats outside normal operating hours, (or if the Yacht Club management requests it) boats must be pulled out of the water and all sails and gear put away in the boathouse when finished with use.
- Wear a US Coast Guard approved lifejacket at all times!
- Always check in and check out in the logbook
- Always mention needed repairs in the logbook
- If a member breaks or loses something, it will be charged to their account.
- Put up your boats properly. Hose them off, put the covers on, tie them down, and put the sails up properly.
- Make sure to put all the halyards up properly.
- Don’t lose your plugs!
If you are an experienced sailor, you are welcome to take the boat out yourself as a bareboat rental. You can go cruising around the St. Andrews Bay and visit the many ports and restaurants the bay offers. Just cruise along and enjoy your day on the bay! The club owns 2 J24 and one Viper 640 that may be used.
- Must be a Club Member
- Must have an experienced sailor on board and be checked out by the Waterfront Director and/or the Fleet Captain – One time Check Out $50 (this is not a lesson!)
- Must fill out a rental agreement
- Full Day: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Multi Day: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm (overnight)
- Max of 3 days